SxSW: Nostalgia! A mixed up series of blogs reflecting my mixed up emotions of wishing I was somewhere else.
It seems that one half of Melbourne’s rock n roll community are going to Golden Plains tonight … and the other half to SxSW.
This time last year, I too was on a plane to SxSW. Thinking back, I realised that I hadn’t even processed/published all my photos, especially since my laptop f***ed up as soon as I hit American shores.
I mean I had of course published galleries for Noise11.com, and Instagram!!! but I hadn’t blogged.
In case you missed the photos on noise11.com:
Also, you might be interested in reading my friend (and reviewer) Anna-Maria Megalogenis’ account of SxSW – day by day. She has a certain style in her writing that captivates and transports you to the gig she’s reviewing.
So why the nostalgia? What will I miss mostly about SxSW?
- The people you attend with. The people you meet. The people you catch up with. The people who love music as much as you do.
- I could spend all the time at the convention centre –and next time I go to SxSW, I will devote more time there.
- In 2009, we heard Quincy Jones as the keynote speaker, plus Steven Van Zandt, Jarvis Cocker, Clem Burke, Datarock and DEVO.
- In 2013, we heard Dave Grohl as keynote, plus Nick Cave, and Depeche Mode.
The panels such as the “Musical Milestones: Celebrating 50 Years Of The Beatles” we attended, featuring singer/songwriters Rodney Crowell, Robyn Hitchcock and Ron Sexsmith, and MTV Networks Executive Vice President/Editorial Director Bill Flanagan; and moderated by GRAMMY Museum Executive Director Bob Santelli.
The “secret” shows:
- In 2009, we went to the Metallica secret show at Stubbs.
By the time I went back in 2013, there was something I really didn’t like – the ballots:
- In 2013, we were successful in ballots for Sound City Players, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and Prince!!! But we still had to queue! (Photos to come…) There were also ballots for Depeche Mode and Green Day but we weren’t successful and there was not enough time to line-up as the gigs clashed.
Last but definitely not least: the BANDS … much more to come regarding the bands!
I hate queues, I hate ballots, I hate being issued a photo pass and then not allowed to take photos. But once I was over all that, I loved SxSW.
More tomorrow …
For more photos: www.RockLust.com